CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

First and hopefully the last one I ever see!!!

I saw a Tornado!! Well at least one trying to form on top of a building. I'm seeing this from the 7th floor of the building I work in. THIS IS NOT HELPING ME CALM MY NERVES!!!

Let's go back about 15 minutes:
I knew of the sighting of the tornado touch down around the downtown area, south side. When John (a co-worker) came back from lunch, he had heard of a tornado that was at Sea World (20 minutes away from my house), heading north to Helotes (five minutes from my house). Starting to get worried. I get on the internet and the tornado John was talking about is heading that way and to Pipe Creek, the tornado should reach Pipe Creek at 1:30. It's 1:25, and I call Mom and Dad. Not answering. I'm thinking good they're not home. Then I call the babysitter. She was just about to call me and warn my that there is a tornado warning issued for that area, especially around Marshall High School. Her house is right across the street from the high school and 10 minutes away from my house. Starting to panic, but still in control. Decided to call Roland at work and update him. He calls back and informs me that there was a tornado reported in the Medical Center. Guess what part of town I work? Right by the medical center. Really close (try 2 minutes). Now I'm panicking. Only thing calming me down is me taking off the cap of the highlighter and putting it back on really fast. (click, click, click, click)
Guess what I did next and that I shouldn't have done. I go and look out the window. THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE, since that is where I saw a tornado trying to form on top of a building. (I think it was about five stories tall, it's shorter than mine.) I'm almost run out of the office yelling "Tornado", but I stopped myself and looked again. At first I see it spinning and slowly disappearing. I'm thinking maybe it was smoke or steam from the top of the building. I don't see anything coming from the top of the building. I WAS wrong about the smoke. Now I'm about ready to lose it. I go to my boss and ask him if was watching the weather outside his window. (His window looks out the same direction that I was looking out of). He says "no". I tell everything I saw out the window and told him what my husband and babysitter said. He ask if I'm worried about my kids. I said yes, while I'm trying to control my shaking hands. He says "go" I say "THANKS!" and bolt for my desk. While driving home, I notice that the clouds at work are starting to get lighter. That's a good sign. Driving to the babysitters and to my house, it's getting darker. That's not a good sign. I look for clouds that are a greenish color or starting to spin, don't see anything, but that does help calm my nerves. The kids and I get home right before it starts pouring rain. At least we didn't get that wet, but the kids wanted to stay out in the rain and play in the street. I guess I shouldn't have let them do that a couple weeks ago, oh well. After about an hour the clouds have lighten up and there is some wind. I think everything has calmed down (I know I have by this point). I'm now looking out the window to watch the two streams run down my street. My street turns into a river when it rains a lot. Why do you think the kids want to go and play out in the rain?

Now it's starting to rain again, the little rivers are starting to pick up speed, and the clouds are getting darker. There goes my nerves AGAIN!!!! When will it end?!?

0 comments: